Safe Riders Offer Free Car Seat Distribution and Education Program 1/18/14
CBS 7 News
January 18, 2013
WEST TEXAS-The Texas Department of Health Services is offering a Child Safety Seat Distribution and Education Program throughout the state.
This program was created for low-income families in order to help reduce the number of car crash injuries and fatalities to children in Texas who are unrestrained.
Here are the guidelines for receiving a free car seat:
1. Financial need (self-certified).
2. Someone in the household must have a vehicle and a working safety belt (lap and shoulder belt required for booster seats).
3. Attend a one-hour class to learn how to use the safety seat correctly.
4. One seat per family.
5. Unlimited educational assistance, one-time seat assistance.
6. Parents must pre-register for class.
7. Expectant mothers should be in their last trimester.
For more information and to schedule an appointment call 1-800-252-8255 or visit www.dshs.state.txus/saferiders.