Four for the Great 8 12/11/13
December 11, 2013
Alex Ovechkin (oh-VEHCH'-kihn) padded his NHL goal-scoring lead by notching the third four-goal game of his career, and first since January 2008. But the Capitals needed Troy Brouwer's (BROW'-urz) goal in the fifth shootout round to beat Tampa Bay 6-5.
The Lightning led 4-2 until Ovechkin scored consecutive power-play goals 2:10 apart late in the second period. He also knotted the score with 33 seconds left in regulation, giving him 26 goals this season.
Nicklas Backstrom had a goal and four assists in the Capitals' fifth victory in six games since a four-game skid.
Also on ice:
- Patrick Sharp and Brandon Saad (sahd) each scored twice in Chicago's 6-2 romp over Dallas. Patrick Kane had a goal and two assists as the Blackhawks moved back into sole possession of the Western Conference lead, two points ahead of Anaheim.
- Boston has a one-point lead over second-place Pittsburgh in the East after Reilly Smith scored with 4:33 left to give the Bruins a 2-1 triumph at Calgary. Smith's game-winner came just 1:38 after David Krejci (KRAY'-chee) tied the game for the Bruins.
- Anze Kopitar (AHN'-zhay KOH'-poh-tahr), Alec Martinez and Tyler Toffoli each had a goal and an assist in the Los Angeles Kings' 6-0 shutout of the Canadiens in Montreal. Martin Jones stopped 30 shots in his third NHL game and second consecutive shutout as the Kings handed the Habs their first regulation loss in 11 games.
- Antoine Vermette scored two goals and Thomas Greiss stopped 29 shots to lead Phoenix past Colorado 3-1. The Avalanche are just 6-7 since their 14-2 start.
- Kevin Shattenkirk's power-play goal with 3:02 left snapped a 1-1 tie and gave St. Louis a 2-1 win over Winnipeg. Alex Steen scored his team-high 21st goal and Brian Elliott stopped 21 shots to help the Blues win for just the second time in their last five games.
- The New York Islanders had dropped 10 straight overall and 10 straight on the road until Kyle Okposo (oh-POH'-soh) scored the tying and winning goals in a 3-2 shootout win at San Jose. Okposo knotted the score with 1:37 left in regulation before the Isles dealt the Sharks their fourth consecutive loss.
- Florida erased a 2-0 deficit into the third period before shootout goals by Aleksander Barkov and Brad Boyes completed the Panthers' comeback in a 3-2 triumph against Detroit. Nick Bjugstad (BYOOG'-stad) provided the equalizer with 5:22 left in the third period.
- The New York Rangers suffered their fourth straight home loss as Carter Hutton handled 28 shots in Nashville's 4-1 triumph at Madison Square Garden. Paul Gaustad scored an empty-netter and had two assists to help the Predators end a five-game losing streak.
- Columbus beat New Jersey 5-4 on Nick Foligno's (foh-LEE'-nohz) goal with 1:31 remaining. Cam Atkinson finished with two goals and two assists, while linemate Brandon Dubinsky added a goal and three helpers.
- Zemgus Girgensons scored the tying goal in regulation before netting the deciding goal in the 10th shootout round to lift Buffalo past Ottawa 2-1. Ryan Miller made 35 saves as the Sabres won for only the fourth time in 17 home games this season.
- Edmonton blew a 4-1 lead before beating Carolina 5-4 on Jordan Eberle's (EB'-ur-leez) power-play goal 1:48 into overtime. Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov each had a goal and an assist as the Oilers improved to 7-3-1 in their last 11 games.