DBacks Get Trumbo in Swap with Halos, Chisox 12/11/13
December 11, 2013
Tuesday's edition of baseball's winter meetings has produced a three-team deal.
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired outfielder Mark Trumbo from the Anaheim Angels in a deal involving the Chicago White Sox.
The White Sox acquired outfielder Adam Eaton from Arizona for left-hander Hector Santiago, and the Diamondbacks then sent Santiago and left-hander Tyler Skaggs to the Angels for Trumbo. Arizona also will receive a player to be named or cash from each of the other clubs.
Trumbo hit .234 with 34 home runs and 100 RBIs this year. Santiago was 4-9 with a 3.56 ERA in 23 starts and 11 relief appearances.
In other player news:
- First baseman-outfielder Garrett Jones and the Miami Marlins finalized a two-year, $7.75 million contract. The left-handed hitter batted .233 with 15 homers and 51 RBIs with Pittsburgh this year. He lost his starting job late in the season and batted only twice in the playoffs.
- Catcher J.P. Arencibia (ar-ehn-SEE'-bee-uh) has come to terms on a $1.8 million, one-year contract with Texas to likely be a back-up to starter Geovany Soto. Arencibia hit .194 with 21 homers, 18 doubles and 55 RBIs in a career-high 138 games this year for Toronto.
- The Colorado Rockies have picked up starting pitcher Brett Anderson and cash from the Oakland Athletics for lefty Drew Pomeranz and minor league right-hander Chris Jensen. The 25-year-old Anderson was the Athletics' starter on opening day this year before going 1-4 with a 6.04 in five starts and 16 appearances. Pomeranz went 0-4 with a 6.23 ERA in 21 2/3 innings over four starts and eight outings for 21 2-3 innings for the Rockies last season, while Jensen pitched for Class-A Modesto.
- Major league teams interested in Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka (mah-sah-HEE'-roh tah-NAH'-kah) still don't know if he will be available this winter. The president of Rakuten Eagles says no decision has been made on whether Tanaka wants to pitch in North America next year.
- The Baltimore Orioles have signed free agent right-hander Ryan Webb to a two-year contract. Webb had a 2.91 ERA with the Miami Marlins in 2012, recording 54 strikeouts in 80 1/3 innings while appearing in a career-high 66 games this year.