Fort Davis Woman's Home Lost In Fire Last Week 12/4/13
December 4th, 2013
Fort Davis, Tx
A fire burned a Fort Davis woman’s home to the ground last week, two years after her family saved it from the Rock House Fire.
Most people would be devastated by the loss of the home and possessions, but she says they're just things and things can be replaced.
"These were the fire place tools," said Anita Knecht, which she looked through the rumble. If you met her, you wouldn't think her home just burned down in a chimney fire.
Throughout our interview she was jubilant as ever.
"He said did you say fire? I said fire!" she said while laughing.
After all, no one was hurt.
"I’m sad about it, but it’s things and we can replace what we need of it," Knecht said.
She wanted to show us photos of the immaculate house, but her phone and computer burned with the rest of her possessions.
Two years ago, her family fought off the rock house fires for twelve hours, using buckets of water from the swimming pool.
"They had buckets of water and they were carrying it to which ever was worse. The house was on fire, the garage was on fire, the guest house was on fire," she said/
Tragedy has now struck twice this year for Anita. Her husband died in April and now two days before Thanksgiving, the home they built is no more.
"He,” she said as she stumbled for words, “I’m glad he wasn't here to see this it would have hurt him too much."
Thankfully her son was spending the night. He noticed the house on fire and got her out.
Now, she plans to rebuild her home.
"It won’t be anything this nice, but it will be good enough for me," she said while looking over the burned home.
A pine tree in the yard serves as her inspiration. It was completely burned in the Rock House Fires and recently starting sprouting needles again. It shows her that new beginnings can grow from a pile of ashes.
She now lives in the guesthouse on the property with her son. She’s glad she has a roof over her head, but the house lacks necessities like a kitchen. For now, she can do without.