Ponder Confident of Playing 9/26/13
- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder expects to start against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday in London despite a rib injury. Ponder emerged from the Vikings first practice in the U.K. on Wednesday confident that he will play at Wembley Stadium. He was injured in the Vikings loss to Cleveland Sunday.
Backup quarterback Matt Cassell also took snaps on Wednesday, and he is ready to step in if Ponder is unavailable to play.
In other NFL news;
- Winless Tampa Bay has named rookie Mike Glennon to start at quarterback against Arizona Sunday replacing Josh Freeman. The move comes just two days after coach Greg Schiano (shee-AHN'-oh) insisted that Freeman would remain the starter because he gave the team the best chance of winning. Freeman has completed just 45.7 percent of his passes this season.
- Brian Hoyer will get his second straight start at quarterback for Cleveland when the Browns take on Cincinnati. He led Cleveland to a comeback win over Minnesota last week while filling in for Brandon Weeden who is still recovering from a sprained right thumb.
- Detroit running back Reggie Bush says he will play against the NFC North-leading Chicago Bears on Sunday, a week after missing a game with a banged up knee.
- Cardinals rookie linebacker Alex Okafor is done for the season after tearing a biceps in Sunday's loss to New Orleans.