Colts Beat Niners...Saints Paste Cards to go 3-0...Defense Rescues Super Bowl Champs 9/23/13
- There was a Stanford reunion in San Francisco Sunday as Andrew Luck beat his former coach.
Luck threw for 164 yards and ran for a big six-yard touchdown in the Indianapolis Colts' 27-7 win over Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers. The Colts were clinging to a 13-7 lead when Luck scored on a bootleg with 4:13 remaining, 78 seconds before Ahmad Bradshaw scored on a one-yard run to ice the victory.
Bradshaw rushed for 95 yards and newcomer Trent Richardson had a one-yard TD run as the Colts improved to 2-1.
Colin Kaepernick (KAP'-ur-nik) ran seven times for 20 yards and was just 13 of 27 for 150 yards and a late interception for the 1-2 Niners.
Drew Brees passed for three scores and scrambled for New Orleans' first touchdown rushing of the season in the Saints' 31-7 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. Brees was 29 of 46 for 342 yards, with two TD strikes to tight end Jimmy Graham and the other to Robert Meachem.
In other Week 3 action:
- Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson was efficient in a 45-17 rout of Jacksonville, completing 14 of his 21 passes for 202 yards and four touchdowns. Zach Miller and Sidney Rice each had two scoring receptions.
- The defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens were rescued by defense and special teams in a 30-9 win over Houston. Ray Rice missed his first game since 2008 with a strained hip flexor. Daryl Smith had a 37-yard interception return for a TD. Tandon Doss took a punt 82 yards for another TD.
- Tom Brady threw two touchdown passes to Kenbrell Thompkins in leading the New England Patriots to a 23-3 win over the Tampa Bay. The Pats are 3-0 and the Bucs are 0-3.
- Miami is 3-0 for the first time in 11 years after Ryan Tannehill lobbed a one-yard touchdown pass to tight end Dion Sims with 38 seconds left to give the Dolphins a 27-23 win over Atlanta. Tannehill overcame five sacks and two turnovers by completing 24 of his 35 passes for 236 yards and two scores.
- Julius Peppers scored on a 42-yard fumble return and Major Wright returned an interception 38 yards for a touchdown as Chicago posted a 40-23 win at Pittsburgh. Michael Bush and Matt Forte each had rushing touchdowns for the 3-0 Bears, who took advantage of five turnovers by the 0-3 Steelers.
- The Detroit Lions, who had been 0-21 in their history against the Redskins in Washington, finally scored a victory in the nation's capital, winning 27-20. Matthew Stafford went 25 for 42 for 385 yards and two TDs.
- The Carolina Panthers embarrassed the winless New York Giants 38-0 behind Cam Newton's three TDs. That's the worst defeat in Tom Coughlin's (KAWF'-lihnz) tenure as Giants coach.
- The New York Jets blew a 20-6 lead before Geno Smith hit Santonio Holmes for a 69-yard touchdown with 9:23 left to give the Jets a 27-20 win over Buffalo. The 2-1 Jets rolled up 513 yards of total offense, with Smith passing for 331 yards and Bilal (bih-LAL') Powell rushing for 149 yards.
- DeMarco Murray rushed for 175 yards and a touchdown, Tony Romo threw for three scores and the Dallas Cowboys beat the St. Louis Rams 31-7.
- Terence Newman returned a fumble 58 yards for a touchdown with 3:47 left, rallying the Cincinnati Bengals to a 34-30 victory over the Green Bay Packers.
- Jake Locker threw a 34-yard touchdown pass to rookie Justin Hunter with 15 seconds left and the Tennessee Titans rallied to beat San Diego 20-17 to improve to 2-1.
- Cleveland outscored Minnesota 31-27. Jordan Cameron caught three touchdown passes, including the go-ahead grab in the back of the end zone with 51 seconds left.