Rookie Smith, Manuel Gets Starts 9/5/13
- The Jets are going with rookie Geno Smith at quarterback for the season opener with Tampa Bay on Sunday. The move was expected after veteran Mark Sanchez went down with a right shoulder injury in an exhibition game against the Giants on Aug. 24.
The Buffalo Bills are also going with a first-year quarterback, giving first-round draft pick EJ Manuel the start against New England Sunday. Manuel has been recovering from a left knee injury sustained in a 20-16 preseason win over Minnesota on Aug. 16. He missed two weeks before returning to practice on Sunday.
In other NFL news:
- Cornerback Champ Bailey won't play in the Denver Broncos' opener against Baltimore tonight because of a sprained left foot. He hasn't practiced since getting hurt in a preseason game at Seattle on Aug. 17. Denver will start Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in Bailey's place.
- Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley says quarterback Blaine Gabbert's availability for Sunday's season opener against Kansas City could be undetermined until game day. Gabbert broke his thumb during the Jags' second preseason game and was still limited in practice on Wednesday.
- Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has signed a six-year, $55.6 million contract extension. The deal includes $21 million guaranteed. The 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year was in the last year of a deal he signed in his first season.
- The Detroit Lions have acknowledged that rookie defensive lineman Ziggy Ansah is recovering from a concussion. The No. 5 overall pick in the draft was believed to have hurt his head after colliding with a teammate in practice Aug. 24.
- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith and former Niners tight end Delanie Walker have been named in a lawsuit by a Northern California man who said he was shot during a party at Smith's house. The suit claims that Smith and Walker fired weapons illegally during a party at Smith's San Jose home on June 29, 2012.