Students Shocked at Permian High School 9/4/13
September 4, 2013
UPDATE: 10:20 P.M.
Odessa - Three ECISD swimmers made a trip to the emergency room Wednesday morning after receiving an electric shock outside of the pool. School officials say the issue stems from a valve filling up the pool not being shut off and overflowing onto the pool deck. All swimmers are reported to be in good health, just a little shaken.
“It was very scary, I was so scared going back to get my stuff that I actually had to walk on the risers because I didn’t want to get back in the water,” said Crockett Junior High swimmer Jasmine Wright.
ECISD’s public information officer Mike Adkins says a valve that was being used to add water into the pool was left open causing water to overflow and run into a power cord about 14 feet away.
“The kids that were standing on the pool deck near the sound system, yes were shocked when the water went over there. Not all the kids that were there said they felt anything, but several did,” said Adkins.
“It felt kind of tingly and then it started to hurt and it hurt so bad that I actually dropped my bag,” said Jasmine.
ECISD trainers were standing by the pool and asked the students if they were okay, all responded that they were fine, but it wasn’t until they got onto the bus that many began to feel sick.
“My best friend who got shocked said that her head was hurting and that she had a bad headache and her arms and legs were aching,” said Jasmine.
When Jasmine got back to Crockett, that’s when she decided she needed to go to the nurse.
“We were told that the kids were not feeling well and went to see their school nurses at the junior highs. Those nurses recommended that they call their parents to go to the hospital,” said Adkins.
But for Jasmine’s mom, the lack of communication between the school district and parents was really the problem.
“My first response was ‘Oh my god are you okay?’ my second response was ‘why haven’t the coaches called me’,” said Jasmine’s mother Jennifer Wright.
“They asked the kids if they felt okay, I think they did what they needed to, but I think we need to communicate better,” said Adkins.
Adkins says the school district is well within code when it comes to the placement of the electric outlets. He adds that he will look into re-arranging or moving some of the outlets to make sure something like this never happens again.
UPDATE: 5:15 P.M.
A press release on the incident was released by ECISD:
Around 8:30 a.m. all of ECISD’s junior high school swimmers were at practice at
Permian High School when several students standing on the deck next to the pool
told the coaches they felt a tingling sensation. The coaches realized the water in the
pool had overflowed and run into a power cord plugged into the pool’s sound system,
which is about fourteen feet from the side of the pool. The cord was immediately
unplugged and students were checked by the coaches. The school trainer was also
available to any students who did not feel well but all of the students said they were
okay. After the workout the students, about 70 in all, went back to their respective
junior high schools to start the school day. Three students – two from Bowie Junior
High and one from Crockett Junior High – went to their school nurse because they
did not feel well. All three were taken to the hospital by their parents and are
reportedly doing well now.
All ECISD swimmers are practicing at Permian now because repairs are being done
to the pool at Ector Junior High. The investigation into the incident found that the
pool was being filled this morning because the water level was low. The valve used
to add water was left open and that caused the overflow. That situation has been
For more information about this release call ECISD Communications at 456-9019.
Odessa - A parent from Crocket Jr. High says her child was shocked this morning after swimming in the Permian High School pool. She says a janitor overfilled the pool and there were open wires on the ground. The parent says her daughter got shocked so bad she dropped her swimming bag; another student lost a patch of hair on her arm.
The parent says as far as she knows no one was seriously hurt, but many did make a trip to the ER.
We have confirmed with ECISD that the incident did occur. Officials say the sound system electrical source got wet and some students did feel tingling. When the students got on the bus some felt sick and three were sent to the ER. The executive director of athletics Todd Vesely says there were nurses and trainers responded to the incident.