Vikings Felton Suspended 8/27/13
The NFL has suspended Minnesota Vikings fullback Jerome Felton for three games for violating the league's policy on substance abuse. Felton made the Pro Bowl last season after blocking for many of teammate Adrian Peterson's 2,097 yards rushing. He signed a three-year contract with the club in March worth as much as $7.5 million,
In other training camp news;
- The Saints have reportedly lost outside linebacker Will Smith for the season. A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that Smith, one of the Saints' top pass-rushers during the past nine seasons, has a knee injury that will sideline him for the 2013 season. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team has not commented publicly on Smith's injury.
- Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was seen at practice riding a stationary bike as he recovers from a shoulder injury suffered late in Saturday's preseason win over the Giants. His right arm was at his side as he pedaled. The Jets have said Sanchez is day-to-day.
- Jets running back Mike Goodson has been suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Goodson rejoined the team Monday after being away all of training camp for personal reasons that the Jets declined to detail.
- The Giants have taken defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul off the physically unable to perform list. The 2011 All Pro had disk surgery on his back in June. It is not known if Pierre-Paul will be ready to play in the regular-season opener at Dallas on Sept. 8.
- Buffalo Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore will miss six to eight weeks with a broken left wrist suffered in Saturday's exhibition loss to Washington. Gilmore was drafted ninth overall out of South Carolina and is coming off a solid rookie season, during which he took over the responsibility as the Bills' top cornerback.
- Bills coach Doug Marrone says he plans to have undrafted, third-string quarterback Jeff Tuel start in the season opener, with EJ Manuel and Kevin Kolb (KAHB) sidelined with injuries.
- The Kansas City Chiefs have lost injury-prone tight end Tony Moeaki (moh-ee-AH'-kee), who fractured one of his shoulders in Saturday night's preseason victory over Pittsburgh. Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Monday that Moeaki was undergoing further exams on the shoulder and did not say when the tight end would return.
- Jacksonville starting guard Will Rackley only suffered an ankle sprain in in Saturday's preseason game. An MRI over the weekend revealed the injury was no more serious than that.