Winter Home Fire Safety 1/7/13
City of Midland
January 7, 2013
With temperatures dropping in the Basin, the Midland Fire department would like to remind citizens to use caution when heating their homes.
Here are some tips to remember for fire safety in your home this winter:
Do not overload electrical wiring or outlets. Firefighters have responded to multiple home fires from overloaded electrical wiring that was providing power for portable space heaters.
Do not use your stove to heat your home. This is a dangerous situation that not only increases the chance of a fire but will also fill your home with deadly carbon monoxide. An unattended open flame is a disaster waiting to happen, especially with small children at home.
Keep portable space heaters 3 feet away from combustible materials. Do not leave a space heater unattended in a child’s room. Plug the heater directly into an outlet and do not use extension cords. If the electrical breaker trips while using the heater, discontinue the use of the heater and call a qualified electrician to check your electrical system.
Service your fireplace before use. Have your chimney inspected and cleaned at least once a year. Chimneys often become clogged with soot and other debris from birds or squirrels. Always make sure your chimney flue is open before you light your fire.
Keeping your pets warm: Every year, firefighters see at least one fire started by heating lamps or lights that were placed in a dog house to keep the pets warm. This is a dangerous practice and the Fire Department does not recommend placing heating devices within the dog house or pet container.
Check your smoke detectors for proper operation and review your fire escape plans with you family. If you have gas-fueled appliances in your home, install a carbon monoxide detector and have your heating unit checked and serviced by a qualified service company.