Fire Safety During the Holidays 12/2/12
CBS 7 News
December 2, 2012
Midland - With the holiday season here, the Midland Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be fire safe this season.
They say house fires typically increase this time of year because the holidays bring out the decorations and a busy schedule.
Here's how to stay safe:
· Heat your home safely. Never use the stove to heat your home. Have your heating system inspected for proper operation.
· Buy fire safe decorations.
· Christmas trees need to be fresh and watered often. Do not place your tree too close to a heat source or heater vents.
· Have your fireplaces inspected annually and do not burn Christmas wrapping paper.
· When cooking that big dinner remember to keep a close watch over the stove.
·Candles should never be left unattended, kept at least three feet away from anything that will burn, kept in a sturdy container that will not tip over.
· Have working smoke detectors in your home.